Category : Uncategorized
“Don’t be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of.”
We have all heard this expression: “Life is short”, but do we really believe it or do we live as though we had a thousand years (Marcus Aurelius)? Do we believe what we say or is it just a flippant cliché, a passing phrase that we repeat because we heard it somewhere.? The Bible talks about a lifespan is 4 score and 10 (90 years or so). That is not a long time, is it? Of course, when we are 16, it can seem like a long time because time seems to stand still at that age. It seems like a long way away and puts us into the mindset of thinking that we have”forever” to live.
Life really is shorter than we care to think and sometimes it sends us curveballs that shorten it “prematurely”, or prevent us from doing some of the activities that we talked about doing in the future when we “have more time,” when the kids are grown or when we retire etc.. We put off doing what would like to do, what we dream of doing in order to take care of the busyness of today. We fall into the routines and obligations of our everyday lives, but the clock keeps ticking. The grains of sand in the hourglass sift through the funnel from top to bottom continually and we can not turn the hourglass upside down and start over again.
Today is the only day we have. Yesterday no longer exists (except in our memory). Tomorrow is only hypothetical. It does not exist yet and it is not a guarantee. So what are we doing with our today since it is the only time we have? Each morning we wake up is an excellent opportunity to be grateful for this wonderful gift of being alive. We may have problems and burdens, but we also have life and that is what is most important.
Here are some quotes on the subject of cherishing our time.
(1) You live longer once you realize that time spent being unhappy is time wasted.
(2) Choose to focus your time, energy, and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow into your happiest, strongest, wisest self. – Karen Salmansohn
(14) “Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor.” ― Benjamin Disraeli
Life is so short, my darling. And there’s no day like today.”
(22) “Short as life is, we make it still shorter by the careless waste of time.” – Victor Hugo
(23) “Life is short, don’t waste time worrying about what people think of you Hold on to the ones that care, in the end, they will be the only ones there.” – Unknown
(24) “Life is too short to waste a single second with anyone who doesn’t appreciate and value you.” – Sarah Dessen
(25 “Why must conversions always come so late? Why do people always apologize to corpses?” – David Brin
Did you enjoy this post? Please leave a comment below.
ListeningClick and share
Diana Lynne loves to travel, pursue self-improvement and debt-free life. She also loves hanging out with family, friends and her dog Skye. You can connect with her through livingandstuff.ca