Category : Uncategorized
Baseball is a lot like life. It’s a day to day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life. – Ernie Harwell
We all know that life is not easy and many of us were not given the rules growing up. Many of us go through life hitting and missing. Sometimes we make it to first base or even a home run and other times we just keep striking out. Sometimes we think we are doing ok and life is good, but then a curveball gets thrown at us that we didn’t see coming and we think “Wow, where did that come from?”
So much of life is our perspective on things and circumstances; it’s how we see things through our personal lenses. Our lenses may be dusty and need some cleaning. We may think that others have it good, but we are living in a funk. When we look in the mirror, who do we see? Do we see someone who is positive, and moving forward or are we saddened or angry at what we see? Maybe we wonder what life is all about and what our purpose really is here.
One analogy for life is the game of baseball. Here are some quotes from the baseball world to give some perspective on life.
(1) “There are three types of baseball players: Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and those who wonder what happens.” – Tommy Lasorda
(2) “There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose, or it can rain.” – Casey Stengel
(3) “The great thing about baseball is there’s a crisis every day.” – Gabe Pau
(4 )“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” – Bob Feller
(5) “Baseball is a universe as large as life itself, and therefore all things in life, whether good or bad, whether tragic or comic, fall within its domain.” – Paul Auster
(6) “One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something.” – Nolan Ryan
(7) “In baseball, there’s always the next day.” – Ryne Sandberg
(8) “To me, baseball has always been a reflection of life. Like life, it adjusts. It survives everything.” – Willie Stargell
(9) “You can’t be afraid to make errors! You can’t be afraid to be naked before the crowd, because no one can ever master the game of baseball, or conquer it. You can only challenge it.” – Lou Brock
(10) “Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it’s business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don’t love what you’re doing and you can’t give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You’ll be an old man before you know it.” – Al Lopez
(11) “In baseball, my theory is to strive for consistency, not to worry about the numbers. If you dwell on statistics you get shortsighted, if you aim for consistency, the numbers will be there at the end.” – Tom Seaver
(12) “Baseball is a lot like life. It’s a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life.” – Ernie Harwell
(13) ““ I like to see the difference between good and evil as kind of like the foul line at a baseball game. It’s very thin, it’s made of something very flimsy like lime, and if you cross it, it really starts to blur where fair becomes foul and foul becomes fair.” – Harlan Coben
(14) “Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.” – Yogi Berra
(15) “Baseball is a man maker.” – Al Spalding
(16) “Baseball is about talent, hard work, and strategy. But at the deepest level, it’s about love, integrity, and respect.” – Pat Gillick
(17) “Baseball is more than a game. It’s like life played out on a field.” – Juliana Hatfield
(18) “Baseball is a universe as large as life itself, and therefore all things in life, whether good or bad, whether tragic or comic, fall within its domain.” – Paul Auster
(19) “You just can’t beat the person who never gives up”.
(20) “The only way you can make good at anything is to practice, and then practice some more”. -Pete Rose
(21) “Talent may get you on the field, but it’s effort and attitude that will keep you there”. – Ken Griffey, Jr
(22) “No matter how good you are, you’re going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you’re going to win one-third of your games. It’s the other third that makes the difference.” – Tommy Lasorda
(23) “Yesterday’s home runs don’t win today’s games.”- Babe Ruth
(24) “You never know what’s going to happen… And that’s the fun of it!! That’s what baseball’s all about!!” – Keiichi Arawi
(25)“[Baseball] is a game with a lot of waiting in it; it is a game with increasingly heightened anticipation of increasingly limited action” – John Irving
Did you enjoy this post? Please leave a comment below.
Click and share
Diana Lynne’s loves traveling, learning, and pursuing a debt-free life. She also loves hanging out with family, friends and being with her dog Skye. Diana is a Quebec City girl. who loves living life. You can connect with her through Livingandstuff.ca